Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mark 8:34



34:  And calling the crowd to Him with His disciples, He said to them, "if anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

At first this is a real shocking comment. Jesus just got done telling the disciples about the fact that he will be killed, then he tells everyone to deny themselves, take up their crosses and follow him. The thing that I am learning about this is that it is not a one time thing but a daily thing. Now I am not sure about everyone else but this is a scary thought to me because I know how I tend to get worn out and eventually give up. I so often think about this verse and think "okay now today I have to deny myself, I have to do a better job this time." It turns out that this is the wrong approach because I am following after a God who has not only been there but feels my pain and wants to help.
Application: Today and from now on I want to remember that not only iis the Holy Spirit here to help me but he wants to help me, because His way is better. All I have to do is deny myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment