Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mark 8:37


37: For what can a man give in return for his soul?

When I first look at this verse my first reaction is that there is nothing that I can give in return. All I can do is "deny myself." This phrase however is becoming christianese to me. As soon as people asking me what I am learning I say how to deny myself. This is kind of an easy way out and I am not a fan of that so I must practically ask myself what I can do to deny myself. There are of course a lot of things I could do but the thing that sticks out the most is praying more. I need to set aside time each day to pray for others and for myself. This is not it though I need to set aside my doubts and trust that I have a faithful God who will answer.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree...that term can easily become a easy response, "deny myself" but the meaning of it, if we are to be honest, is never any easy thing or the same thing, it is continually changing...prayer. Yes, i need to take on more prayer as well. I think of the quote by C.S. Spurgeon, he said, "A prayerless soul is a Christless soul." Intense. but true...how can we call ourselves Him and not be in fellowship with Him? thanks 4 your blog

    ReplyDelete